Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Our journey across Montana, Wyoming into South Dakota

Thanks to the wonder of free wi-fi available at the lodges in Custer State Park, here is an update...

Saturday we left our hotel at 9 am (8:00 our time) which was pretty impressive! When we're at home, we have a hard time getting out the door at 10:00. We stopped at Stella's in Billings for cinnamon rolls. I'd read about it at roadfood.com and it lived up to the other reviews. Jacob and I got the caramel nut rolls which were outstanding. ¼ inch of soft caramel on top of a cinnamon roll. What could be better? Aunt Viv would have loved them. The best thing of all at Stella's was the cinnamon rolls were only a $1.50. Wow!




Next, we stopped at Little Bighorn Battlefield which is where the famous “Custer's Last Stand” took place. I felt a spirit there that can only be described as sacred. I'd also noticed that spirit when I visited Gettysburg battlefield.

It was a battle where two very different groups of people were fighting for their beliefs and in the end, both lost. Every government soldier was killed while only around 30 Native American lost their lives. The government became so concerned about the military power of the nomadic indian that it instituted a policy where every Native American would be forced to a reservation. I could imagine the horror the soldiers felt as they were trapped on their hill top without ammunition while 8,000-10,000 Native Americans stormed the hill.



Miriam continued in her tradition of becoming injured while on vacation. This time, it was only a scraped knee. She is currently carrying a small piece of the battlefield around with her in the form of a pebble in her knee.



Leaving the battlefield behind, we drove through gorgeous Montana hills. Montana is so different from home. At home, all the hills have trees and you can't see far. Here, we could see 20 miles in the distance and often see our road that far away.



Thanks to the wonders of Sheri's GPS, we were able to find a park in Sheridan, WY for a picnic lunch. After lunch, it was drive, drive, drive through Wyoming and finally in to South Dakota. By the time we arrived at Custer State Park at 7:30 pm, I was so tired I just pulled up to the camp site, took a few seconds to think about I wanted to do, and backed that trailer into our spot easy as could be. I guess all that practicing in the van payed off!

5 comments:

  1. Steph, you're amazing! 'All that practice' my foot- it's just your mad skilz :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how we traveled before without GPS :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want cinnamon rolls in Billings!!! Wait if I know you you've got it all figured out how to make them only better right in Arlington! Yippee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH NO!! I had no idea you were coming through here!! I wish I had realized, we could have gotten together. I live about an hour from Custer Battlefield, 2 hours from Billings, or 1 1/2 hours from Sheridan. It would have been so fun to picnic together for a few minutes. If you come back this way, let us know, or if you go north on I-94 that's even closer.
    Have a GREAT time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my dear!!!...we just got home from a mini trip to Quilcene...a liitle cabin in the woods bordering the national park..very quiet, beautiful trees, natural rhodies...we had to walk about 300 yards over a small bridge crossing the Quilcene river & were completely alone, just us & the pug! I am counting on you finding another yummy cinnamon roll place and ice cream after you pick me up love mom

    ReplyDelete