Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 26, 2010

heading North to Salt Lake City

We’d planned to spend another day at Bryce Park, hiking into the canyon. But, the troops rebelled against the heat and bugs so after picking up their last junior ranger badges of the trip from Kodachrome State Park, we headed to Salt Lake City.

We stopped for lunch at Fort Cove. This fort was built by the church in the 1860’s and is the only fort built by the church that is still standing. It served as a telegraph station and way station for the stage coaches traveling the “Mormon Corridor” and was never needed for protection against the Indians. Today, it stands as the western end of I-70.   It was built by President Gordon B. Hinkley’s grandfather. He lived there with his family for 20 years.
inside the fort
front of the fort


It’s amazing what a little water will do in the desert. Look at this green grass!




We checked into a hotel in Salt Lake City thanks to Boma and road the light rail down to temple square. We ate at a restaurant near the hotel where you could order breakfast up to 5 pm.  Miriam ordered a pancake that was as big as her plate, and ate 95% of it!

Elizabeth was SO excited to see the Salt Lake Temple. When she got her first glimpse on the train, she pumped her arm in the air and exclaimed, “Yes!“  A member of the Tabernacle Choir was standing near us and you could see that he was enjoying her enthusiasm.  When we got off the train, she literally ran up the street to get to the gate and go in to temple square. I told her we’d come back in two years when she’s old enough to go inside. I was excited too. I haven’t been to temple square since I was 12 years old, before I was a member of the church. It was emotionally moving to see the Salt Lake Temple and think back on the Nauvoo Temple that we saw a few weeks ago, almost like bookends. The temple the saints left and the temple they built at the end of their journey. So much faith and sacrifice. I’m glad the kids have some of that pioneer blood running through their veins. From me they get Slavic stubbornness and from Dode pioneer perseverance.  It's got to be a good mix for people who want to get things done!
I must be allergic to temple square though because I remember getting chastised by a missionary the last time I was here for not being reverent enough and this time it was Miriam who got in trouble for running around.  I guess we do better far away in Washington.





The kids were able to get a quick swim in before bed. Can you believe it? A day without ice cream!

1 comment:

  1. How fun! A real hotel!

    Seeing Temple Square for the first time is rather amazing.

    Ignore my question from your last post- I see you answered it in this post :)

    ReplyDelete