Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Our 1st full day in Nauvoo



Trip odometer:  2511 (total miles for the day=10, hooray!)
We started our day with a wagon ride tour of old Nauvoo. 

Sharon got to be our narrator.  She did a great job.  After the tour, it was time to go home for lunch and then back to the sites.  On our way back, we stopped at a place for ice cream that uses liquid nitrogen to freeze it right in front of you.

see the smoke in the back? that's the making of the ice cream


William was excited because he could have soy milk ice cream. 
He has a milk allergy and usually gets fries while we get ice cream.


it wouldn't feel like this trip if we didn't get rain.
It absolutely poured while we were getting ice cream, even with our umbrellas we got soaked!  That water is from the lense of the camera when I ducked outside for a second to get a photo.


We watched Just Plain Anna-Amanda which was a musical for children.  Then, we went to the Family Living Center where we learned how various things were done in the 1840's.  We helped as a family  make the rope that Elizabeth is jumping.  We also sampled bread made in a bustle oven.  My kids are too spoiled  because after just a bite they handed their pieces to me.  We also visited the Scovil Bakery where we got a gingerbread cookie and Lyon Drug Store where we got a pioneer toy similar to a yo-yo..


Then, it was back to the visitor center to watch High Hopes and Riverboats.  Miriam fell asleep in my arms.  It was a very entertaining show with a positive and upbeat message.


William in the visitor center, looking up at the Christus

Once we got back to Sharon and Lynn's, we had a pancake dinner per Miriam's request and I set to work on a shelf in the trailer.  When I was part way done, Sharon and Lynn got back from their site work and Lynn helped me make the changes I wanted to make.  This picture probablly won't mean anything to anyone else but Dode but here's what I did.  I hope it will make the shelf more user friendly but I will know for sure in a few days.


We finished off our night with a relaxing activity of catching fireflies.  The kids had never even seen them until coming here.  They put their catches in their Dollar Store bug collection boxes and soon there were several fireflies inside the house.  The kids were able to eat a 2nd dinner with grandma and grandpa before bedtime.



3 comments:

  1. I have never seen fireflies! Sounds like you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steph,
    I love reading this blog about your trip. Sounds like you are creating wonderful memories with the kids. I'm not so sure about the tick, mosquitos, flu, rain and 4am laudry mat trip but the rest sounds great! Your mom will have many good stories to share when she gets back I'm sure. Enjoy!! Diane Cruikshank

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep hearing from my friends in town that they have seen you and your family. :) I think it is amazing that you could bring them all without your husband. you are an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete