Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Miriam turns 7

Tuesday March 13, Miriam turned 7.
3/13/05
She looks more like a doll than a real baby!


1 year later, back in the hospital for rotovirus

7 years later,
strong and healthy

We celebrated with my mom on the Sunday before. I got home from church late but Dode, my mom, and Greg put the finishing touches on our dinner. In fact, they were already eating when I walked in. I'd told Dode I'd be home at 5:30 but he'd remembered 5:00 (the time my meeting was finished). He figured they'd waited long enough for me and got everyone eating. I didn't feel very loved but at least there was lots of food!

Sunday night's cake
blurry photo courtesy of a youth photographer

getting her gifts on Sunday night, Gabriel is beside her
look how much farther his legs hang down, he's 1 year older but he looks huge!
My mom got Miriam more things for her American Girl doll, Maria. She got a crib, crib mobile, baby seat, baby food, and a new outfit.


Tuesday night
The cake stuck in the pan and we had to piece the top together,
it still tasted great!
Our children always get to choose what they want for their birthday dinner.  On Tuesday, Miriam made it very easy on me, homemade pizza and chocolate chip cake.  Our chocolate chip cake is an old standby and is much loved by the children.

Chocolate Chip Cake
1 yellow cake mix
1 small box vanilla pudding
1 cup oil
1 cup milk
4 eggs
1 cup chocolate chips

Bake at 350 degrees in greased bundt pan 50-60 minutes.

My mom made Miriam a special jumper to wear for her birthday.  Miriam brought m and m's (her nickname) as a treat for her class.  When I woke her up in the morning, she was her usual grumpy self.  She said that she didn't think birthdays were special if she had to get up and go to school.  I reminded her that she got a special dinner and presents but in her opinion, if she didn't get to open those presents right away, they might as well not count.

After dinner, she finally got to open her gifts.  We got her an MP3 player loaded with Disney hits and free kids songs I found on amazon.  We also gave her some big cardboard building blocks.  The blocks come flattened and when she opened the boxes and saw them, she was pretty disappointed in her gift.  We all pitched in and started folding them into blocks.  It was one of those times when it's a benefit to have a large family.  (Going out to eat at a restaurant is one of those times when it's a big liability for many reasons!) Soon, she was excited and got to work building a tower.



Once we were done playing with the blocks, it was time to go to the YMCA.  We're one month in to a three month membership.  The first time we went swimming a month ago, Miriam wanted to go in the hot tub to warm up.  Nope, the minimum age was seven years old.  She wanted to go in the sauna.  Again, the minimum age was 7.  She asked me, "Why are all the hot things not for little people?"  I assured her that once she turned seven, she could go in the hot places.  On her birthday, she knew two things she was going to do for sure.  She was getting in that hot tub and sauna!  So, we went swimming on her birthday.  She liked going back and forth from the pool to the hot tub.  It must be a kid thing to like that because to me, once my skin is all hot from the hot tub, going back in the pool is torture!  She also spent maybe 90 seconds in the sauna before deciding that it's so hot in there, it makes it hard to breathe.

Miriam is happy to be seven years old but she's still got a lot of frustration at being little.  She hasn't even lost one baby tooth yet, something that really bothers her.  I, on the other hand, am content with her being little as long as possible.

3 comments: