Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Copycat Recipe- Chocolate Chia Goodness

When we went to the Natural Foods Expo in October I picked up a tasty sample, a full sized package of Ruth's Hemp Chia Goodness in Chocolate.  It makes a nice snack and has only 130 calories per serving.  I like it because it's rich and chocolately, has five grams of protein, and goes great with fresh fruit.  What I didn't like was the price when I looked into buying another package.  I looked at the ingredients on the back and created my own mix which I can store in a jar.  I had all the ingredients in the pantry except the buckwheat.  I ordered a big bag from Azure Standard and made a big batch.

Chocolate Chia Goodness
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup buckwheat
1/4 cup hemp
2 tbsp. dutch process cocoa
2 tbsp. cocoa nibs
2 tbsp. dates, diced
2 tbsp. almonds, diced
1 tbsp. evaporated cane juice
1 tsp. salt

Stir everything together.  To serve, add 2 tbsp. to a bowl.  Stir in 3 tbsp. hot water or non dairy milk.  Let sit 5-10 minutes.  I usually microwave mine for 1 minute before allowing it to sit.



I like to top mine with berries, vanilla coconut yogurt or ice cream, and a drizzle of chocolate raspberry syrup.  I'd never mistake it for warm chocolate pudding cake, but it does satisfy my sweet tooth.

I also made a boost for my daily hot cereal for breakfast.  I add a tablespoon of the mix to my hot cereal before cooking it.

Protein Boost
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup buckwheat
1/4 cup hemp
1/4 cup flax, ground
2 tsp. cinnamon

calories per tablespoon  54, protein:  5 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment