Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 13, 2009

My great Recipe

I've been bringing the sacrament bread to church for over ten years.  It all started when Dode was the Young Men's President and he had the weekly concern if one of the Priests would remember their bread assignment.  There were several times when he had to make a last minute run up to his parents house to find a loaf of bread.  We tried stashing a loaf in the freezer at church but it was often missing by the time we needed it.  It was just easier on us if I brought it.  I've been asked for my recipe many times over the years and here it is.  I use a bread maker because it makes a nice moist loaf which works perfectly for being used in the sacrament.  We've gone through many many bread makers.  Lucky for me, I can usually find one at a 2nd hand store for less than $10.  Because we cut the crust off before we go to church, no one is bothered by the bread machine's worst drawback of thick crust.  I think what makes this bread great is the flour I use. 

1 3/4 cup water
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
4 1/2 c. pizza flour (purchased from Cash & Carry)
2 tbsp. dry milk powder

1 tsp. instant yeast

I place everything in the breadmaker in this order the night before set it to be ready before church.  I use this same recipe to make rolls by using 2 tsp. of yeast and the dough setting.

On the bread making vein, we have homemade pizza every Friday night.  We like a thick flavorful crust with a bit of crunch on the bottom.  I love using the bread maker to make the dough because it seems to be the ideal rising enviroment for the bread.  I use this same recipe sometimes in the stand mixer and it is so much more difficult to roll out. 

1 1/4 cup warm water
1 tbsp. sugar
1 1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. instant yeast
3 2/3 cup pizza flour (Cash & Carry)

I dump everything in the bread maker on dough setting.  When it's ready, I roll it out and place it on a baking stone that has been sprinkled with corn meal.  Let rise 15-20 minutes and place desired toppings on.  Bake at 375 degrees until edges are golden.  For our family of 8, we make two pizzas and usually have a few pieces for leftovers the next day.

1 comment: