Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

12/5

We had a full day today.  It was the 2nd week of the produce co-op, Elizabeth marched in a parade, Isaac competed in a lego robotics event, Anastaya went to a birthday party, and Jacob slept in until 2.

Our first event of the day was the produce co-op.  At 7:30, we were greeted with the sound of a full sized 18 wheeler semi coming up the driveway.  We watched with interest as the driver hung a wheel over the culvert, clipped a small alder, drove through the flower garden, and crushed part of the stump in the middle of the driveway.  Maybe next time he'll just park on the road!  It's the 2nd time we've done the co-op here, but the first time he's tried to drive in.

 I've been participating in a site in Monroe since September but it was a really long drive so I worked to get one in Arlington.  It's organized through Bountiful Baskets.  They're huge in Arizona and Utah and just getting started in Washington.  I love the co-op because I hate spending money.  I love fresh fruit and vegetables but when the price for a pound of apples is the same as a pound of ground beef, I just cringe.  I buy a lot of produce at Costco, but a girl can only eat so much broccolli, baby carrots, grape tomaotes and spring mix.  I needed a change and the co-op is providing it.  For $15, I get $40-50 worth of produce that varies every time.  I actually buy two baskets which just about gets me the two weeks until the next co-op.  (I eat 90% of what I buy and the kids eat the rest.  Like I said, I love fruits and vegetables.)  It's almost like the thrill of getting a gift when I find out each time what we're getting.  I hope the co-op grows.  We have about 20 people in it now, I'd love to have 50 or more.  With a larger group purchasing, we will get more variety.  We sorted it all out into baskets that people could pick up in the 21 degree weather.  Brr!  Here's a picture of one order's worth of produce from Saturday.



Elizabeth marched as a reindeer in the Santa parade downtown.  She had a great time singing "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" as she walked down main street.  She saw several people she knew.


Elizabeth is on the far right


Isaac has been working with a team from his school to build and program a lego robotic car which they used to compete against 23 other teams yesterday.  They were given a course that they built and received points for doing different things like avoiding obstacles, navigating to certain areas, keeping their lego passengers on the vehicle, and retrieving small disks.  Isaac's team placed in the top half of the competition.  It was a long day for Dode who had to have him there at 9 and stayed until the end at 4:30.  Isaac felt like it was 1-2 hours.  It was definitely an activity that appealed to Isaac's mechanical minded brain.


Love his team name!



Isaac with the robot he helped design



Isaac receiving his competitor medal


Isaac with his team

On another note, today I was called out of Relief Society by a member of the bishopric.  They told me that they were setting Isaac apart as the 2nd counselor in the deacons quorum.  Usually we know a little before then but I figured maybe Dode forgot to tell me (not that that would ever happen!).  We got there and once all the moms were assembled, they realized they needed the dads too so we waited a while for the dads to come.  Dode also had no clue.  The most ironic part was they then proceeded to set apart the new presidency and even the boys didn't know they were being called to their positions.  Once the bishop realized that no one had been interviewed before, he likened it to the way they used to call people on missions at General Conference.  Isaac's eyes got pretty big when he heard his name called!  Once it was his turn,  I heard the bishopric member say his name, I felt so overwhelmed with gratitude for the names he carries with him.  Isaac, one of the patriarchs.  Lynn, his grandpa who is setting such an example of service.  Dickson,  history of righteous choices.  I remembered the day Isaac was born when we chose his name and also Helaman 5:6-7 "... Behold I have given you the names of our first parents who came out of the land of Jerusalem; and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were good.  Therefore, my sons, I would that ye should do that which is good, that it may be said of you, and also written, even as it has been said and written of them."  Thank you grandpa Lynn for being such a good example!

2 comments: