Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Primary Class Party

On Wednesday the 22nd, I invited the children in my primary (Sunday school) class over to my house for a party.  I have seven children in my class, all turning eight years old this year.  I've been their teacher for the last year.  Usually in January, the children move up and the teacher continues teaching the same age children.  I moved up with the class and I expect I will again this year.  We've got a pretty good routine going.  Of the seven children in my class, five have special needs.  Their needs vary: developmental delay, autism spectrum, sensory processing disorder, emotional distress.  I have worked very diligently to create a class environment where the children can be successful and can gain skills to be more attentive learners.

I feel like I spend a lot of time during my lessons correcting misbehavior and trying to get the class back on track.  So, I feel like the bad guy a lot.  I wanted to have a party so I could be the fun lady for a while.  Plus, they've all been to my house before and they kept asking WHEN they could come over and play.

Five of the seven children made it to the party
That's me in the back!
On the swing:  Alex, Aaron, Joseph, Spencer
On the ground: Miriam (not in my class) and William
The girls in my class, Kendall and Piper didn't make it to the party.

We enjoyed hot dogs, chips, popcorn, snow cones and ice cream cones.
I invited the parents to either drop off their child or attend with their child and bring their other children along.  One mom took me up on the offer to bring another child.  Her son Nathan is sitting next to Miriam.  

They had a lot of fun being crazy on the slip and slide.

The party was a great success.  I still had a lot of behavior correcting to do but being able to play and be wild helped the boys have a wonderful time.  When moms came back to get their children, I heard a lot of, "All ready?  But, it's only been an hour!"  (The party was three hours long.)  I wish the girls in my class could have attended as well but I'm glad that the boys who came had such a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment