Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Woven Bracelet for Day camp

I asked my mom to keep an eye out for activities we could do at day camp.  She found this on Pinterest.

The link didn't have any instructions, just a photo, so I had to figure it out myself.  I bought some Craft Cord in the official cub scout colors: blue and gold.  I purchased a third color for the center string.  It's not visible in the final bracelet.  My core color is white.

I wasn't sure how much of the blue and gold to use.  Two feet was too short, making only a 3" bracelet.  Five feet was plenty with lots of extra on the ends (good for little fingers).

How to make:
You'll need three colors of craft cord, safety pins and scissors.

1.  Cut three pieces of craft cord.  Blue: 5 feet, Gold: 5 feet, white: 2 feet

2.  Gather all three colors together in your hand and tie a knot 3-4 inches from the end.

3.  Use a safety pin to attach the cords (go through your knot) to your pants, near your knee.  Use another safety pin to attach the other end of the white cord to your other leg.  You want the white cord to be somewhat taut.  This makes it much easier to weave the cords because you only have to hold on to the two cords that you will be weaving with.

Notice my short ends?  No way to tie the bracelet ends to each other around my wrist!  Oops.

white cord safety pinned from one leg to the other
You can adjust how tight the cord is by moving your knee farther from the other leg,
just don't tear your pants!

4.  Pick up the yellow cord and think, "over, under, over".  Wrap the yellow cord over the white cord, then thread it under the white cord and up through the loop you made.  Now do the same with the blue cord.  Continue alternating, thinking, "Over, under, over" until your bracelet is the desired length.  You want to keep the tension somewhat the same on your loops or your bracelet will vary in width.

5.  When your bracelet is long enough, tie another knot at the end.
Here are the two bracelets I made for my samples.  You can make it tight like the top one or more "lacey" like the bottom one.

6.  Tie it onto your wrist, cut off the ends and wear your cub scout colors with pride!








No comments:

Post a Comment