Total Pageviews

Friday, June 8, 2012

Happy birthday Isaac! 15 years old

Tuesday, Isaac turned 15.  When he was born, he was the same size as my first baby Jacob, 6 lbs 13 oz.
As a baby, my dad nicknamed Isaac, Fussy Dickson.  You can see that he earned it!

A kind elderly woman in the ward made Isaac this outfit that he got blessed in.

Thankfully he got over the grumps around six months old and is now a pretty easy going guy to have around.  He had a full birthday.  He must have been tired, he took a nap on the couch before dinner!

His day started at 5:00 am when he and his dad went out to breakfast.  It's a tradition Dode started years ago with the kids.  They had to leave early enough to still get Isaac to early morning seminary at 6:20.  Isaac usually rolls out of bed five minutes before he has to go out the door so I thought he wouldn't be wanting to get up extra early to have breakfast.  When he overheard Elizabeth talking about how she wouldn't miss her breakfast for anything, he said, "Yes, I'm going!"  Isaac's seminary teacher brought him a treat, sea salt and vinegar chips.  Then, he did some homework before we headed over to get him his 1st professional haircut.  He thinks he's outgrown my haircutting skills.  I told him I'd pay for the 1st haircut but after that, he was on his own.  Well, he really liked the haircut he got, so he's already saving his money for the next haircut!

sporting his new hairdo

For lunch, we went to 5 Guys Burgers where he picked out a burger and large fries.  That place is expensive!  It cost me almost $12 for his meal.  We got home and he had time for some more school work.  He'd asked for homemade corn dogs for dinner with white chocolate raspberry cheesecake for dessert.  It's a good thing that his birthday only comes once a year because I think he ate over 3,000 calories that day!  I've been pretty strict with my vegan diet but I've chosen to not follow it a few times. One is any time I have access to crab, I'm going to eat it!  I also had a big slice of Sharon's carrot cake on Mother's Day.  I was doing pretty good with the corn dogs until we sat down to dinner and I started eating my sweet potato veggie burger (the same veggie burgers I've been eating for four days since the recipe made such a big batch).  When we go to the fair, freshly dipped corn dogs are always my weakness and pretty soon I was digging into one of ours slathered with mustard.  Yum!

looking stylish in his new shades

birthday dessert

The next day we celebrated his birthday with my mom and Greg.
Greg and Miriam played the accompaniment for our Happy Birthday song.

Gabe had a healthy carb lovers dinner
Miriam loves how she snuck into the photo

The kids are enjoying digging a giant hole in the flower garden.
My mom is a bit concerned since she just planted some flower seeds for me there!

Weekend fun
I was gone to a day camp meeting after finishing up with produce on Saturday morning so Dode was the single parent for the day.  He brought the crew to the church to participate in a car wash to raise money for their summer camps.  The three kids each earned $36 for 5 hours of work to go towards their $90 camps.  I'm surprised they made that much money because the day was dark and rainy!



In the afternoon, Dode took Elizabeth and William flying at the model airplane field East of town.  When I asked her if she had a good time, she told me that Dode's co-worker, our instructor/expert, kept taking over from her when she was flying.  I asked, "Did he take over because he was trying to help you or because he was having so much fun he couldn't give you a chance?"  "He took over when I was crashing."  I told her that was probably a good thing but she isn't convinced!  Dode thinks that is a good thing even if Elizabeth does not.

Dode's plane
He received it as a birthday present from my mom years ago and it's been taking up valuable space on my closet shelves ever since.  He's never flown it much because one: He doesn't have the skills, but more importantly, he didn't want one more thing taking him away from the family.  Elizabeth has really gotten into RC aircraft so he finally has a partner and an excuse to get his plane out of the closet.

Steve and Elizabeth
The wire between the two controllers allows Steve to take over if Elizabeth has a problem.
It's kind of like the brake they give to the driver's ed instructor.

What in the world is that?

You know how I've mentioned that I live with a bit of a mad scientist?  One of the projects Dode has been working on for a while is a laser beam maze.  Sunday afternoon, he got the 1st stage done.  He's able to have the laser hit a light sensor.  When the beam of light is interrupted,  an old door alarm from William's room gives a beep.  In order to make the laser visible, we used the fog machine we bought last Halloween.  It promptly set off the smoke detector in the hall.  Our smoke detectors all communicate together so pretty soon the whole house was quite noisy.  Miriam and William enjoyed playing with the laser trip wire.  Step two is to add more mirrors so instead of one line of laser, there will be several criss crossing.  Dode's plan is to create a laser maze that the youth will have to navigate before they get our candy at the trunk or treat our congregation has at Halloween.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fun birthday! I like Isaac's haircut too! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete