Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 5, 2011

2nd Place in the Super Mom Contest

Wednesday was the big day to go down to the television studio and be filmed.  Dode had saved his birthday leave for a special day and it ended up being Thursday.  He only gets two weeks of vacation leave plus one extra day for his birthday that he can take when he chooses.  He chose to spend it with me.  The morning started off in typical super mom fashion.  I pulled a loose tooth, instructed a child about proper pimple care, emptied the dishwasher, kept everyone on track, made syrup when we ran out half way through breakfast, and got everyone out the door a few minutes before 8am.  I wonder if the other two finalists had the same kind of fun before they went on air.  At the last minute, Jacob started complaining that he didn't want to go down with us because it was a sunny day and he didn't want to waste it.  I told  him to consider it a Mother's Day gift to me and he reluctantly and with a bad attitude got in the car.
even Super Mom wanna be's have to empty the dishwasher!

We got down to the studio and were brought back to the "Green Room" (the waiting room for guests who will be going on air).  We took up most of the seating in the room.  I kept my fingers crossed that we'd make a semi-decent impression of big families.

waiting in the green room

watching the show, waiting for my turn

outline of the show

Jacob was disappointed to learn that the walls in the green room are beige, not green.  They had us get there 45 minutes before taping which gave the kids plenty of time to get antsy and gave me plenty of time to get nervous.  Dode helped distract them by playing hide-and-go seek with them.  It's a bit of a challenge to hide in a room that contains only couches and a table but they made the best of it.  The TV station had ice water and coffee for refreshments.  Diane was brought back to the Green Room and mentioned how she'd had to sprint to the station because my mom, Greg and she had gotten lost on the way to the station and she was late.  We met with the producer for the super mom segment.  There are different producers for the different segments in the show.  The producer for "my" segment was very nice and had years of experience in television.  She asked if there was anything she could do for us and when I asked if there were any hot chocolate packets, she took Diane and I to the cafeteria and bought the kids all hot chocolate. 
Diane (who nominated me) and my mom

When it was time to begin the show, the older children went out to the studio audience and Dode and I stayed with the little ones in the Green Room.  When it was time for my segment (the hour long show has six segments) Dode and the littles joined the audience and I stood behind the set and got plenty scared.  Employees kept walking by me and re-assuring me that I'd do fine.  I wondered if I looked white as a sheet and terrified.  I tried to take deep breaths, said a fervent prayer that I'd be able to communicate the things in my heart, and tried to avoid an asthma attack that was threatening due to the stress.  Then, in what felt like seconds, I was on and it was time to tell my story.  I wasn't told ahead of time what questions would be asked and when the host asked about our adoption, I found myself tearing up and being unable to speak.  It's funny because I'd been planning on talking about the adoption from the minute I heard about the contest but once it was time, I just lost it.  They asked me about the produce co-op and day camp and then my time was up.  I joined the audience for the rest of the show.

You can see in the video clip that as I'm walking out and as I sit down you'll see me look to the right.  I'm looking at Dode.  Diane thought it was so romantic how my eyes "laser beamed" to him for a quick check-in before I took a deep breath and began.

The kids were excited because everyone in the audience was given tickets to see Guys and Dolls at the 5th Avenue and rare earth Mud Masks (won't that be useful for Miriam and William!)  Elizabeth asked why a person can't just use their own mud from home.  

picking up our mud masks after the show

sampling the salad they made on the show

my support team

the host, Margret Larson and me

Then, after lots of hugging, we left the TV station and headed down to the aquarium.  When Diane heard where we were going she got all sentimental and said, "You're going to the aquarium, that just shows you're a super mom!" 

I'd had the sore on my back lanced, drained, and stitched up the day before and it was right where everyone was hugging and patting after the show.  Murphy's Law strikes again. 

We sat at the big "Window on Washington Water" exhibit and ate our sack lunches.  I'd told Miriam we were going to go on a picnic but apparently that didn't count because later she asked me when we were going to do that picnic!  It always impresses me how much money each of the big tanks must have cost, and how quickly the kids can check them out and keep going.  As always, the jellyfish tank was my favorite.
it was a beautiful day outside





Once we got home, we had time to straighten up the house before the reporter for the Arlington Times showed up.  He'd heard about the contest and wanted to interview our family.  He talked with the kids and I, ended up sharing dinner with us, took some "action" shots (me doing the dishes, pretending to vacuum, eating with the family),  and got a feel for our family.  He ended up being here when I got the news that I was 2nd place.  Anastaya handed me the phone and told me it was the station.  The reporter quickly got his camera and trained right on me. Too bad he couldn't get a photo of me getting the winning news.  I felt like I had to put on a good face since it was being recorded.  The kids were all there as well and were quick with hugs and reassurances that they still think I'm a super mom.  My mom forwarded me a very nice email from one of their friends.

"Dear Kathy,

Sharon and I just barely got home by 11:00 this morning and tuned into KING TV to finally see your beautiful daughter. What a wonderful and touching interview Stephanie gave. It was pretty emotional for Sharon and I, and we were just part of the TV audience. I can only imagine what it must have been like for you and Greg. Wow... what a testimony! She may have come in number 2 in the "Super Mom" contest on Channel 5, but she will most certainly be number 1 in all the lives that she touches in her community, church, food program and of course Mom & Dad. But first and foremost are her children, and that goes without saying. They don't see her as a "Super Mom", they see her as a loving, caring, tender and compassionate woman, so easy to love. They just want to put their arms around her and just call her Mom! Wow... God could not have given a more beautiful gift than a mother to His children."

I received many emails that were just as nice.  I'm so glad I was able to get my message across.

So, I didn't win the contest.  Would I  have liked to win?  Of course!  Am I OK with not?  Of course!  Was it worth it?  Of course!  I got to hear from all my children (Jacob included) that they were sure I would win because I was truly a super mom.    I had the opportunity to speak about my family on television and share my feelings about adoption.  Perhaps someone was watching today who will begin to explore the path to adoption and a child who needs a new family will find one because of that exploration.  My words touched Anastaya and made her cry.  She often struggles with feeling like she's somehow second rate because she's adopted.  To hear me affirm my love for her on television (with tears included) meant so much to her.  If for nothing else, it was worth it to let her feel loved and special.

As for Diane, she paid the price for reading my blog!  She was watching New Day Northwest one day and when they mentioned they were having a "Super Mom" contest, she thought immediately of me.  She sent in her nomination and the rest is history!  Not only did I go on the show, but she did as well.  And now she's even been featured in the blog!  Let that be a lesson to all you lurkers out there.

2 comments:

  1. What a great experience for everyone. "winner" or not you are a true supper mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so fun being down there with you. Thank you for letting me be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete