Total Pageviews

Friday, August 27, 2010

This week's fun?  Fantasy Fortress Park in Marysville, boating, Tulalip Safety Fair and the flu.

Fantasy Fortress Park

Fantasy Fortress Park has long been one of my favorite parks because it makes the kids WORK for their fun! 

                                                         Winding stairs lead to the slides. 

                                                           Tunnels invite exploration. 

Fun challenges are hidden along the way.




Boating and the flu
Poor Miriam can't get a break this month.  She's gone straight from getting over the cold Isaac brought home from scout camp to a flu.  Headache, tummy ache, body aches.  She's be fine one minute and the next flat out on the couch feeling terrible.  I tried washing my hands obsessively to avoid getting sick but it still nailed me.  So, Wednesday Dode took the boat out with the rest of the family, even Jacob, while Miriam and I stayed home and slept on the couch.  Dode and I were so excited that Jacob wanted to go with us.  He hasn't been out with the family on a Wednesday night boat ride yet this year.  We waited a few hours to leave until he was done with cross country practice in order to bring him along.  Then, once he's in the van, he's changed his mind and wanted to go to a friend's house while the rest of the family played on the boat.  When that doesn't work out, he spends the boat ride in the v-berth of the boat, refusing to have fun.  Maybe he'd realized that he'd opened a door by willingly doing something with the family and decided he needed to take care of that before it got out of hand.  We won't give up on him.

Tulalip Safety Fair
When I was writing our summer plans down on the calendar, I knew what I wanted to do and when I wanted to do it but there was one Thursday when I didn't have anything.  I thought maybe we'd get up to Oak Harbor to see the cousins but wasn't sure it would work out (it didn't) so I just wrote down "Family Fun".  Let me tell you, the excitement leading up to the mystery activity was intense!  The girls kept asking what we were going to do while I'd smile mysteriously and say, "We'll see".  Dode received an email at work that the tribes were having a kids' safety fair/carnival on that date and I decided it'd fit the day perfectly.  The theme of the safety fair was making healthy choices.  They could complete different activities and receive a prize.  They also served a lunch of hamburgers and hot dogs.  It's nice to be able to take part in the family activity the tribes offer.  They seem to have a big budget for events with lots of prizes I can confiscate for day camp.  The kids had a great time and thought it lived up to the excitement of waiting.


a walk with "big feet"

coloring two pages about healthy habits
gym with three bouncy houses and booths around the edges

Elizabeth waited in line twice so she could get both cheeks painted
feeling good, she bounces.   five minutes earlier, I was holding a sick child

3 comments:

  1. Why is all the good stuff just meant for kids? I think places should have some of these fun day meant just for women- and it doesn't count if they charge you an arm and a leg just to get in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the kids think this was one fun summer!As to the prior post...wow Jacob was always photogenic...he looks so rugged & handsome...I know he didn't want to go but the picture of him pulling the handcart shows that he already has a good character, just a little rough around the edges! You wonderful parents...just wait...it WILL be all worth it!!!
    love mom

    ReplyDelete