Total Pageviews

Monday, August 23, 2010

August 15-21

Our plans change
We'd planned to spend three days at the ocean followed by a hike up to Heather Lake near Mt. Pilchuck this week.  Unfortunately, the weather was not cooperating with us.  But, it all turned out well because Dode's Aunt Morlan had a few trees taken down and said we could  have some of the wood in exchange for the use of Dode's wood splitter.  Having enough wood to get through the winter has been on our minds because it was looking like we were going to run  out in January.  Brr!  There is no way we can afford to use electric heat in our house.  The previous occupant said his bills were $400 a month to heat it in the winter.  Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday I met Dode in Marysville and traded his pick up for our van (filled with Jacob, Isaac and Anastaya) and cargo trailer. 

Here's the wood shed which was absolutely empty before we brought home Aunt Morlan's wood.  It is great to have all that wood but unfortunately it wouldn't be ready for this year.  On Friday we got a call from Dode's grandpa that he knew where some wood was that would be ready to burn this year.  Saturday Dode, Uncle Dave, and Brother Haskins made two trips each in their trucks and we now have enough wood to keep us warm all winter.  Hooray! 

New Couches
The couches in the family room were shot.  We'd bought them on craigslist five years ago and have worn them out.  The edges of the cushions were frayed. 

William had used a knife on one of the cushions.  I'd sewed up the cut but he kept picking out my stitches so I gave us.

The final straw that pushed us to seek "new" couches was Miriam.  She loves sleeping downstairs on the couch and had had a few nighttime accidents.  The couches were developing a lovely aroma.  So, out with the old

and in with the "new" (to us that is). 


After much searching on craigslist (there are a lot of solid colored light material couches out there), we found a set that could stand up to the rigors our children put them through for $75, and in Arlington even! 



there is a subtle pattern which should mask some of the wear the children give couches

Anastaya dug lots of treasures out of the old couches

Being an adult IS a lot of fun
Jacob has three months until he turns 18 and has a lot of questions about growing up.  Yesterday he said to me, "I don't really see the point to becoming an adult, it just looks like a lot of work.  What do you do for fun anyway?"  I mentioned some of the things I like to do (exercise, take the family places, bake) and he thought they also sounded like too much work.  I told him I get a lot of gratification out of accomplishing something difficult.  He informed me he did not.  I told him that a lot of the joy you find in life isn't something you can plan for and explained what had been a joyful event for me the day before.

Miriam had been begging me to take  her to Haggen all day.  I kept putting her off because I was busy and walking to the grocery store is not one of my top 10 things to do.  She wouldn't let me forget that she really wanted to go.  Finally, I relented.  She was so excited!  She changed into a sundress I'd made her, brushed her hair and put a sparkly butterfly clip in it (not up against the scalp as you'd think but dangling down near the bottom of her hair), and found a doll toting backpack to put her stuffed gorilla in.  We walked to the store, hand in hand, as she talked with me about her concerns about entering kindergarten.  As we walked, my heart was filled with joy to be stealing away from the busyness of the house to spend a few minutes with such a fun girl.  There was nowhere else I'd have rather been or nothing else I'd have rather been doing at that time.  For me, that's the "fun" part of being an adult.

4 comments:

  1. I am sure Jacob did not think your event was "fun"...I on the other hand think it sounds wonderful...I love holding grimy little hands and talking about how blue the sky is...love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you to get all that wood. After seeing all of it, thank goodness for a log splitter. (Morlan turns 65 on Thursday) Did you get to see her new house or was the wood at the old one? I sure like your couches. When we get home, you will have to help us get some things off of Craigslist as most everything will need replaced because of damage done by first renters or was taken with their things. Miriam is such a fun little girl. I could just picture her and you walking to the store. We sure love all of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog.... and your kids.... and you..... and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being an adult is a lot of work, but like you, I wouldn't trade in the "joys" for anything!

    ReplyDelete