Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Kittens!

On Saturday the 16th, Dode, Miriam and myself made a trip over to Haggen in the evening to buy milk for Sunday.  It was around 9 pm and I was beat but I forced myself to get over there and get the milk.  As we were walking home, I saw two little faces peeking out of the bushes at us, kittens.  they hardly seemed big enough to be walking.  I picked them up and showed them to Miriam.  We sat with them while Dode went back to the store for kitten food.  I looked around for a momma cat but didn't see one anywhere.


We carried them home and showed the other children.  There were lots of "Ooh!  So cute!".  Isaac was leaving the next day for a boy scout high adventure and he said, "If these kittens aren't here when I get back, I'm going to be really upset!"  We kept them in a box overnight in Jacob's room.

The next day, I don't think the kittens' feet touched the ground very often.  They might had started out wild and afraid but it didn't take long before they were totally comfortable with the children.  It's now been two weeks and the children are as in love with them as they were when we brought them home.


I felt badly for the momma cat who must be missing her babies.  I tried trapping her in our live animal trap over where we found the kittens but did not succeed.  There is a new stray cat hanging around I thought maybe she was the mom.  One night when she came to eat, I put one of the kittens into the trap and placed it next to the food to see how she would react.  When we trapped kittens last year, the mom was very upset and spent a lot of time trying to break them out of their trap.  We sat in the dark in the kitchen and waited to see what would happen.  The kitten started crying piteously and several of the stray cats came to investigate, including the one we thought might be the mom.  She didn't show too much interest and soon took off so I don't think she was mom.  Wherever the mom of the kittens is, I'm sorry I stole your babies.

I love to listen to them run around and chase each other.  They can't weigh more than 8 ounces each but you can really hear those paws thumping down the hall as they give chase.

The children named the kittens.  They are both girls.
This one originally was Sean, from the TV show Psych.  She's the shy one.
I wasn't too impressed with the name so they came up with Katniss.

This is Jules (also from the show Psych).  She's much more adventurous.

The box they slept in until we got a better cage.

The extension cord plug gives you an idea of how small they are.

Does this look like animal abuse?

Kittens love small spaces.  She crawls in here by herself often.


Anastaya is in heaven to have cats.  I often find her sitting on the couch petting them for long stretches of time.  Dode is willing to endure for the sake of his children.  His biggest complaint is that he has a litter box in his house.  I'm hoping that now that they're litter box trained, we can transition them into going to the bathroom outside.


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new kitties! Soooo cute :-)

    Dorrel will be coming home today with some "cat warming presents."

    BTW, the following should be required reading for cat owners:
    Wet cat food is better for your cat

    If you're interested in some other tips on healthy cat feeding, feel free to contact me. In particular I know of a great way to feed a cat a really healthy diet at a very low cost, though it might be a little extra effort than just buying cat food at the store.

    - John A. -

    ReplyDelete