Total Pageviews

Monday, July 23, 2012

Creating an Outdoor Sink

With life on a septic tank, it's difficult to accommodate the kind of parties we like to have at our house.  We've started renting a port-a-pottie for large gatherings but people still want to wash their hands.  It was time for an outdoor sink.

People give us things they don't want anymore, all the time.  A few years ago, a friend gave us an old sink when they remodeled their kitchen.  I thought we were getting a sink with a garbage disposal in it and having lived my entire life without ever having a garbage disposal, I was ready to upgrade!  Well, the sink came with a nice hole where the disposal used to be mounted.  Since there was no garbage disposal, the sink got stuck in the back of the woodshed where it sat collecting dirt and dust.  One of those, "Someday we'll take off the faucet and use it in the kitchen, but not now" kind of things.  Because it still had a faucet on it, getting it ready to be used outside was really easy.

Dode screwed a piece of wood between two saw horses and set the sink down in the opening.  

I went to the hardware store and got an adapter that would allow me to attach the hose to the faucet ($5).  It went on easily and I was in business!  Then I realized that the hot water pipe on the faucet was spraying water everywhere so back to the hardware I went for a $1.50 cap.


With some scrubbing, the sink was soon nice and clean.


I stuck a plastic bin under the sink to catch the water that drains out and keep it from splashing on people's feet.  I worried that the bucket would be too heavy and ungainly to move when it filled up so I drilled a small hole near the bottom where the water can drain out the back.  

Everything is disguised with a piece of festive Hawaiian fabric and we now have a working outdoor sink.  Let the parties begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment