Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Big improvement in my foot

Tuesday, two weeks post-op, I got the stitches out.  The process went pretty painlessly until the last stitch came out.  It ran the length of the incision under the skin with one knot part way up my toe.  The nurse had to slide it out from under my skin, not the most pleasant activity!  The doctor told me that my foot would be extremely sensitive for a while because of being wrapped up in the bandage for so long.  The best thing I can do to help the recovery along is to massage it.  He said if I baby my foot, I will just prolong the problems so all the way home from the doctor (Sharon was driving!) I kept rubbing and rubbing my toes and foot.  It definitely helped.
You can still see the faint mark where the doctor signed my foot to make sure he got the right (or left!) one.

I still have a lot of bruising and some swelling but now that the stitches are out, my foot feels exponentially better!  I get a weird tingling in my foot and toes but if I rub them, it goes away.  When it starts tingling and I first touch my toe, it tingles and hurts more but as I continue to rub them, the weird feeling goes away and I get some relief.  I think my nerves are trying to figure out who is in charge now that one of them is removed and get a bit over eager to take the job.  By rubbing them, they can calm down and realize what their proper purpose is.  At least, to my non-medical mind, it seems that way!

A mouse, a mouse in the house!


Tuesday morning, Anastaya and I heard a strange gnawing sound in the morning.  I tracked it down to a mouse in the bathroom.  We have a pocket door with a window in it between the bathroom and the laundry room.  The door was partially closed with about 2 inches of window showing.  Somehow, the mouse had gotten up to the ledge on the window and I saw the little head peaking out.  The gnawing we heard was the mouse chewing on the window frame, trying to get out.  I opened the door all the way (pushing it into the wall) and when I pulled it back out, the mouse was gone.

A few hours later I was sitting at the computer and saw movement out of the corner of my eye.  It was the mouse, casually strolling across the floor towards me.  I gave an "Eeke!", stood up and he disappeared.

Wednesday, I was once again sitting at the computer and once again the mouse made an appearance.  I followed him to the living room and Dode and Isaac gave chase.  We thought he'd gone under one couch but when we looked, he wasn't there.  We gave up but I looked under the other couch (a sectional) and saw what looked like a tail.  When I watched the tail disappear, I knew where the mouse was.  They dismantled the couch to tip it up piece by piece.  Dode had a bucket and was hoping to trap the mouse under it.  The girls stood nearby screaming "I'm so scared!".  I thought it was pretty funny because if they were truly that scared, they wouldn't have been crowding around Dode as he tried to find it!  Well, after chasing it around the room a bit, we lost it when it climbed inside a hole under the bathroom cabinet.  A little while later, I heard screams again.  It had ventured into the room where the kids were watching a movie and was hiding out under the couch they were standing on while screaming.     We put out a trap for him but could never catch him.  I think he's more scared of us that we are of him and hopefully he's left to find a more peaceful home.

3 comments:

  1. So glad your foot is improving! But it's been a great way to practice your ballet moves. :) I have found that the sticky traps work well for us.
    May you continue to recover well! Sidney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, he hasn't moved on- he's found a place with lots of entertaining people and lots of hiding holes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little mouse...you see I didn't say poor stephanie. Love mom

    ReplyDelete