Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 23, 2012

2.6 inches of rain in 24 hours

What will 2.6 inches of rain in 24 hours (3.6 in 48 hours) do to our small stream?
flooded!

this culvert goes under our driveway, usually the water is only about six inches deep, in fact when the salmon swim up in the fall, most of their bodies are out of the water!

other side of the culvert under the driveway, the upstream side

 here is where the stream goes under the road in front of our house, on this day it's going over the road and flowing down another street and into the Haggen parking lot
one day later, the stream is still high but it's within the stream bed
At least once a year, the city comes out and digs out this area, trying to create a deep pool to allow for extra water.  The stream is bringing down so much sand and gravel that it quickly fills back in.  We have a culvert under our driveway but have never had to do anything to keep it clear.  Hooray!
the city built a temporarty earthen dam to try to keep the stream from flowing down a side street to the businesses there.
the dam helped the stream back up towards our driveway!


For part of the morning, while they were working on their dam, we were trapped at home.  Isaac was one the other side of the closure at seminary (early morning religious instruction) expecting me to pick him up.  When I realized that I couldn't get out, I started calling the building where his class was.  My goal was that he'd find someone who could drop him off at Haggen and he could walk home.  I let it ring and ring but no one picked up.  I called his instructor, cell phone was off.  I tried Sharon since she lives just up the hill, phone off.  I tried Grandma Dickson's house, phone off.  I tried one of my friends who sometimes picks up her kids from seminary, not that day.  I was making all these calls at 7:00 am so I had to be careful who I called!  In the end, with repeated attempts to contact the building, I was never able to get notification to Isaac.  Isaac figured I'd forgotten about him and the seminary principal gave him a ride home.  The kids thought it was exciting to get as few hours off of school.  The intrepid UPS man walked a package in to us.  How's that for service?!

2 comments:

  1. That is one thing you wil never do...forget about your children! Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't call me. Of corse I too turn my ringer off at night, but it sits right next to me on my night stand so I often, but not always, hear it vibrate. Feel free to try me if you need to in the future.

    ReplyDelete