Total Pageviews

Friday, April 8, 2011

Fun at the beach

The sun held out for our first full day at the beach!  Hooray!  We took advantage of the good weather by spending time at the beach (this time the kids put on their swim suits first) and by going to the family fun center. 

The beach play was typical of any visit.  Digging holes, making lines in the sand, getting wet.  We drove down to the breakwater where the waves were crashing over the rocks.  Elizabeth thought it was very scenic and lay down on the rocks to enjoy the view.  She plans to select one of the photos she took today as her computer wallpaper.  Once we got there, Miriam didn't want to get out of the car because she thought it was too cold and windy.   Jacob convinced her to come and play.  He even found a few pieces of driftwood on the beach to turn into a sea-saw.  She ended up really enjoying herself.  I think Jacob enjoyed himself as well.  It's so nice when he's able to engage with the family.  When everyone else was cold and ready to go, Miriam was still going strong.  It's ironic because until she was about three years old, she hated the beach.  I'd set her down on the sand and she'd hold her little feet up off the ground and cry.  She hated the texture of the sand with a passion.  You'd never know it now to look at her enjoying herself!

The kids had a great time at the fun center. First, Miriam, William, and Gabriel had a turn on the bumper boats. They were each able to quickly master the technique and had fun chasing each other's boats around and colliding. As I watched them, I looked at the boats and thought to myself, "Dode could build something like this, wouldn't they be fun in Winthrop!" After the littles had their fun, it was time for the big kids. The Isaacs loved colliding as quickly as possible while Elizabeth was content to maneuver around the pool. The Isaacs did a round of miniature golf while the rest of the kids played Chuck E. Cheese type games inside for tokens. They had a fun gumball maze game that I think Dode could build me a variation on. If all the stars align, maybe you'll be hearing more about it in the future.






My mom and I enjoyed a nice dinner at the restaurant at the hotel.  The food was OK, but at least the service was attentive.  The views from the restaurant windows were great, over looking the brushy dunes and the waves.  And, adult conversation without a child interrupting?!  Amazing! 

We took the kids swimming after dinner and stayed at the pool until around 9:30.  Usually when we're at the pool there's a lot of fighting because we don't have enough goggles to go around.  I try to keep track of the time and have them switch off every 15 minutes.  It doesn't solve the problem.  "Well, I wasn't wearing them for part of my 15 minutes because I was going to the bathroom.  I don't care, I've been waiting!"   Dode's sister Janice dropped off a bag full of goggles and masks with Dode at work so we have plenty this time.  It makes such a difference!  When we got back to the room after the pool, I debated calling Dode after 9 pm but decided to wake him up if necessary just in order to say hello.  I caught him in the middle of taking the garbage cans to the end of the driveway.  He had important news for me. 

Jacob's friend Mohonri is working on his eagle scout rank.  He turns 18 on Friday and needs everything done by them.  I'm the scout committee chair and he realized Thursday that didn't have my signature yet.  They called the scout office to see if they could fax me the form to sign but were told they needed my original signature on the original form.  So, Mohonri and his parents set off on the four hour one way drive to Ocean Shores to find me.  Dode wasn't sure what hotel I was at and needed to let Mohonri and his mom and dad know so they could get my all important, worth driving hundreds of miles for, signature.  Within 15 minutes of my phone call with Dode, they were pulling into the parking lot.  Can you believe that kind of dedication?  That's parental love! I felt bad they were so inconvenienced in order to find me but tonight at 9:30 was the first I'd heard of the need and the urgency.  When they got here, Mohonri told us he'd also earned a last minute merit badge today.  Congratulations to Mohonri, you and your parents truly have earned your Eagle rank!

No comments:

Post a Comment