Total Pageviews

Friday, October 22, 2010

Oliver

taken a few days before he died

Our cat Oliver died yesterday.  We've had him for over 12 years.  He was fully grown when we got him, free as a cast off left at a local vet, so I have no idea how old he truly was.  Dode picked him out because he was big and fat, figuring he'd be a nice mellow cat.  He was nothing special to look at, just a black cat with a white spot on his chest.  But, he's been a fixture around the house all these years.  Yesterday I was gone for about an hour, and when I came home he was really struggling to breathe and had lost the use of his left from leg.  Later that night at the emergency vet, I made the decision to euthanize him.  Such a hard thing to do!  We shouldn't have to make decisions about things we love based on finances!  He was always around, I could hardly sit down without him jumping into my lap.  I keep catching myself looking for him.  Sweeping up the cat food, throwing away the food bowl, it was tough.  I found quite a few photos of him.  He was our "prayer cat" who always joined the family for nightly prayer.  The kids are grieving.  Miriam says she's just not going to think about it.  Elizabeth says she never wants another pet (Oliver was our only pet.).  William doesn't really understand what dead means.  I worry most about Anastaya and what feelings Oliver's death might bring up.  But, I also know that having her go through the grieving process again is healthy.


Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...















4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry honey...losing one that you love is so very hard...love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is never easy and i agree one should never have to think of money when making decisions about our beloved pets! I know just how you are all feeling! I'm with Elizabeth, as of now I can't even consider getting another pet. The thought of going thru the loss again is to much to take.

    Something that has helped me is -

    Don't cry because it's over....smile because it happened! - Dr Seuss

    thinking of you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss, that poem brought me to tears. It's so hard to lose a pet. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you had to loose Oliver. Poor Elizabeth, she is so sensitive. I hope she gets through this okay. I had to put our family dog to sleep the following Monday. He was in our family for 12 years and we got him as an adult also. I paid the extra money and had him cremated. He now sits on a shelf waiting for my brother to come home. That way we can be together when we say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete