Total Pageviews

Monday, October 4, 2010

Last week of September

Summer is over and with it, the days seem much more predictable, and there's not as much to talk about.  We spent most of the week recovering from our trip.  It's amazing how tired we all were when you think that we were sleeping 10-11 hours a night in California and everyone slept off and on all the way home.  It took a few days to get everyone back to feeling human again.  Was it worth it?  I can give you a resounding YES!  There were times at Disneyland while we were waiting in line, almost ready to get on the ride, when I'd look at my children clustered around me and think, "I could just stay here and do this for the rest of my life."  There were also times when I thought, "Let's just give up and go back to the hotel!"  But, those good times made it worth it.

Oops!
Saturday was an "exciting" day around here.  Isaac was giving Miriam a ride on the Trail 90 and when she climbed off, she turned the throttle on the handle.  The bike shot out from underneath Isaac leaving he and Miriam behind and plowed into the steps leading up to the 2nd story deck.  No one was injured although Isaac was pretty shaken by how fast things got out of control.  It did break the brake handle on the handlebars.  We've been through a few of those and when we bought replacements, I teased Dode that he might as well buy a few extra as it seems a weak point.  Isaac has decided that from now on, he will have passengers climb down on the other side.


Cross Country
We were able to watch Jacob run a cross country race at Cedarcrest Golf Course in Marysville.  He's usually pretty embarrassed by his family so it was nice that he accepted our coming. 

Before the race, too stoked to smile

Boma came straight from work to cheer him on

15 schools attended the meet

Jacob's 5K time

General Conference
While listening to conference on Saturday I spent my time making some snowflakes with glass bevels.  I need to make 12 snowflakes, and 12 dozen cookies for an exchange my mom and I are going to in December.  I now have 6 snowflakes complete and 6 are 75% finished. 


Dode hooked up some speakers outside and worked on my van.  It had developed a terrible squealing noise.  It was pretty embarrassing to drive because it was loud and constant.  I don't mind driving an older vehicle, but a noisy vehicle is another thing.  I was getting tempted to replace it.  (My van has other issues like: intermittent blinkers, no power steering, needs regular oil infusions, can't fill it up because there's a leak at the top of the gas tank, no radio, no air conditioning or tinted windows (think greenhouse), not enough leg room because it's a mini-mini van, roof  leaks that leave the carpet wet and stinky.  But, we've had this Caravan/Voyager longer than our other two and I hate to give it up while it's still got some life in  it! We also put new tires on it last year and need to get our money's worth out of those.)  Dode found that it was a worn belt and once he changed the belt, the noise was gone.  It's like a "new" car!  That night, when Jacob slammed the door because he was mad Isaac claimed the front seat, the rear view mirror fell off.  I guess you can't have everything!  After Priesthood Session, Dode and the boys joined some other father/son combos at Alfy's for pizza.  While they were there, they announced that the first people under the age of 18 to make it to the front counter would receive a coupon for a free personal pizza.  Jacob practically plowed into a five year old to claim his coupon.  Then, later in the evening they handed out coupons to everyone!

Sunday morning we had our traditional General Conference cinnamon rolls.  I always make the dough while Dode and the boys are at the Priesthood session Saturday night and they rise in the refrigerator overnight.  (There's a fancy word for that, retarding the dough!)  We all ate so many of them, no one needed lunch.  That's always a bonus!

2 comments:

  1. Fun weekend, glad no one was hurt on the trail 90!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so proud to see Jacob run across the finish line...some day maybe we can run a marathon together...at least start together...I am sure Jacob will be way ahead love mom

    ReplyDelete