Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A truly wonderful eggplant recipe

I love the produce co-op.  I love having access to lots of varieties of produce.  I love trying things I haven't had for a while.  Fresh pineapple on a weekly basis?  Bring it on.  New varieties of pears to try and enjoy?  Sign me up for more Starkrimson please.  Fresh beets to roast?  YES!  I wasn't loving eggplant.  I'd tried it cooked the way my cooking gurus at Cooks Illustrated suggested and it just wasn't doing anything for me.  I know I like it as eggplant parmesan but that's a lot of calories or work to use up a vegetable.  Then, I went to my friend Margo's for book club and she served an eggplant dip I could slurp up with a spoon.  I've made it at home and scoop up the yummy dip with celery (another of my less than favorites).  Best of all, I can eat the entire recipe along with 8 stalks of celery (I know serious pigging here) for 250 calories and 1.6 grams of fat.  I like it so much, I'm actually looking forward to the next time we get eggplant.  Here's the recipe that made an eggplant lover out of me.

Eggplant Sichuan (a dip)

4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
1/2 inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
1 eggplant
1 tsp hot pepper paste (adjust spiciness to your taste)
1 Tbs rice or apple cider vinegar
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp sugar

Cut eggplant in half, seeds down and roast in the oven until soft at 350F for about 30 min.
Scoop out eggplant pulp and discard skin.
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth or slightly chunky whatever you prefer.

1 comment:

  1. hi honey
    dinner was wonderful as usual but more wonderfuller was just being with all of you...I love the produce co-op because we get to see you every two weeks...Diane was thrilled with her basket again...she was whistling "here comes Santa" as we walked in
    love mom

    ReplyDelete