Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 11, 2018

last few days of January

On Sunday, Dode was gone for a few hours home teaching and I was here with the kids.  Right about the time I decided to start making dinner, Luke made his way downstairs for a nap.  I cuddled him in and he fell back asleep.  When Dode got home an hour later, I was still sitting with Luke in my arms.  I told him I was sorry there was no dinner made and he told me that there were many many more dinners to be made but not very many times to cuddle with my little boy.  I’m glad we were on the same page because I was fully enjoying holding my little boy.


I belong to a Facebook group called Buy Nothing.  It is a worldwide movement where you join a group where you live.  The goal of the group is to get rid of things you no longer want and to ask for things you need.  When the groups grow beyond 1,000 people, they split the group.  The Arlington group was up around 1,500 and this weekend was when the split happened.  I have enjoyed lending things out and expressed sadness to one of the administrators that I’d no longer be able to help as many people.  She checked with the regional administrators who said that if I was an administrator in my group, I could be a member in the other Arlington group for the sole purpose of lending out my things.  Each group generally has three administrators and I was coming on as the fourth one.  I was planning on being an administrator in name only.  Well, as soon as I was announced as a fourth admin, one of the other administrators said her life was really busy and she needed to quit.  I don’t think being an administrator will be too big of a deal, there are three of us approving new member requests, dealing with questions that come up and posting encouraging things on the group page.  Since I love lending stuff, my focus is the lending library.  I’ve got several posts pending about the library to invite people to use it and to add to it.

When we finally had time last fall to work on getting firewood split, we learned that a seal on the wood splitter was leaking and could no longer hold hydraulic fluid.  Dode thought we had enough dry wood to make it through the winter, and any wood we split this winter won’t be ready to burn until next year, so getting it repaired wasn’t a priority.  I wanted it fixed because I know that summer will be just as busy this year and we have wood sitting on the ground needing split both here at our house and out at my mom’s.  The repairs on the splitter were beyond something Dode and his dad could do.  Dode took the cylinder needing repaired into a shop and they wanted $250 to replace the seal.  Dode said, “No thank you” and was on his way.  I said, “But if we have to heat with electricity, the bill will be at least that much for one month.”  Dode held his ground and refused to pay the $250 for the repair.  He ended up buying a brand new cylinder off ebay for about the same price as just getting the seal replaced on the old one.  The bonus of buying a new one is we have an entirely new cylinder, not a repaired rusty pitted cylinder that would likely break down again.  In the middle of deciding what to do with the wood splitter, we had another family who was running low on wood ask if they could use the splitter.  That really lit a fire under me.  Because life can never be too easy, the new part has to be modified to work on the splitter.  Dode has it almost ready to go, it just needs some welding and it will be ready to go.  Hopefully that last task will happen this week. 

At the end of last summer, Dode was asked to be in charge of a pioneer reenactment for the youth in our local church area called Trek.  He spent many many hours researching where to go, walking and biking trails in the nearby tree farm, by himself and with both Elizabeth and William.  His responsibilities don’t just include route finding, but all the planning that goes into making the trek happen.  The couple who are in charge of training the adult leaders (youth are organized into families with a ma and pa) have been on 7 treks but some of the adults have never participated in one, as a youth or an adult.  The trainers wanted to have access to a handcart at their training to show the leaders what they’d be working with.  Dode’s grandparents have a handcart that has been sitting in their yard as a lawn ornament since a trek Dode did as a youth almost 30 years ago.  The wooden body of the handcart had been filled with dirt and used as a planter.  After 30 years of Washington weather, there wasn’t much wood left.  When Dode asked his dad if he could borrow it for the training, his dad said he wasn’t sure how much there was left to it.  A week later he called Dode over to look at something on the cart and he’d completely rebuilt the wooden body and it was ready to go. 

Wednesday was the twins 4th birthday.  We started the day with their well child check ups at the doctor.  They both are growing fine, following their curve somewhere between the 20-25%.  We met my mom at the Children’s Museum in Everett after the doctor visit.  Once again, the twins and Finnley mostly went their separate ways.  At the end of our last visit, my mom told Leah that when we came back for her birthday, she could get a toy from the gift shop.  She’d decided then that she wanted a pink pony she saw on the shelf.  When we got done playing on their birthday, when everyone was complaining they were hungry, we visited the gift shop.  Leah remembered and pointed right to that pink horse, she didn’t even want to look around at what else was available.  Luke picked out some trains.  We had lunch at a teriyaki restaurant a block from the museum and headed home.  The twins fell asleep on the way home so I left them in the car and kept checking on them every few minutes.  I had just enough time to make their birthday cake before we had to leave again.  Well, as time got short, I wasn’t able to check on them as often.  I looked out the window to see Luke just waking up, so I went upstairs to get Elizabeth for twin help.  By the time we made it to the car, they were both awake and hysterical.  Even when they got their feelings under control, every now and then Leah would start howling again, “you left us in the car!”  I picked up Miriam and William from school and we drove over to the chiropractor.  We go once a month and adjustments are free on a birthday so I got to get the twins adjusted for free!  After the chiropractor, we went across the street to see Isaac at the insurance agency he just started working for.  It was my first time meeting his boss.  I’m sure he was glad when we left and the office was nice and peaceful again!

On Thursday, when Elizabeth and I got done at the class we attend at the YMCA, we took the twins swimming for an hour.  I was worried we’d be stuck in the pool forever since the last time we took them almost two hours wasn’t long enough.  This time, we could play in the kiddie area for 30 minutes and then it closed and we had to use the larger pool.  I think because they were submerged, they got cold and after another 30 minutes, they were ready to go home.  I felt like a good mom for taking them to do something that I really don’t enjoy.

On Friday, my mom and I went to an event in town called the Country Charm Walk.  We picked up an empty bracelet from the chamber of commerce and then we walked from business to business, picking up a bead for our bracelet at each place.  It was a nice relaxing day.  We stopped part way through to have lunch together and were gone from home for about two hours.  That night, my mom treated us to tickets to see the play Newsies in Everett.  She saw it a week before and said that in all the plays she’s seen over the years (a season ticket holder at the 5th Avenue in Seattle for many many years), this play was one of her favorites.  After her experience, she bought four tickets so that I, Elizabeth, Miriam and Jacob could go.  Unfortunately, right before we were going to go, Jacob came down with a stomach bug.  With less than an hour’s notice, Sharon was able to go with us.  The play was really good, the music was excellent and the dancing was amazing. 



On Saturday, we took the kids to the Eagle Festival in town for the first time.  I thought they’d like it since there are many activities for kids like a petting zoo, crafts, chainsaw art, rocks and gemstone displays.  Well, it was a complete bust.  Once we told Leah she couldn’t have kettle corn, that was all we heard about.  Over and over, “I want popcorn!”  The animals were scary, they didn’t want to do crafts, the chainsaws were too noisy, they had no interest in the rocks and gemstones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment