Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 13, 2011

More about me

I started my blog as a way to keep a far away grandma up to date on the family.  It's become a way to keep lots of people informed about the details of our lives.  Blogging is a form of social media that I've embraced whole heartily.  Recently, I've begun using another form of social media.  I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  They have begun a media campaign where we live to educate people about the church.  The "I am a Mormon" ad campaign is an invitation for those unfamiliar with our faith to learn more about the church by learning more about its members.

As part of the media campaign, church members have the opportunity to create a "profile" about who they are and why they belong to the church. I found it quite challenging to dispense the essence of who I am down into three paragraphs.  As you read the blog, I'm guessing you can infer what my values are.  The profile I created sets them out in plain English.


My profile is here

My church has been in the news a lot lately due to some remarks made by Robert Jeffers.  Romney not a Christian.  When did the definition of a Christian get narrowed to exclude certain groups of believers?  I don't believe the definition of Christian is tied to one religion but is instead something that is related to an individual's conversion to Jesus Christ and a desire to follow his teachings.  I believe there are Christians throughout the world who belong to many different faiths.  The word "Christian" can be used as both a noun and an adjective.  I'm trying to live both uses of the word.  In my life, I want to be a Christian (a follower of Jesus Christ) by being Christian (having a heart filled with charity and a desire to act).  Does that make sense?  Maybe someone reading my profile will decide that, yes, Mormons are Christian.  At least, I'm trying to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment