Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 17, 2011

2011 Day Camp

We've survived another year at cub scout day camp!  Although I don't currently have any cub scouts, my kids sure look forward to camp each time.  The girls get to go to "tags" where they have their own activities and get to participate in some of the program activities I plan for the cubs.  Jacob has been attending day camp since he was 8 years old.  First as a cub, then the last 7 years as a helper at headquarters and store keeper.  I didn't know if he'd be with us this year but at the last minute, he decided to come up three of the four days.  Isaac and Anastaya were gone at scout camp and girls camp. 

Our theme this year was the Wild West.  It was tough designing the program.  The majority of our cubs come from LDS units filled with boys who do pioneer activities each year at church.  I struggled with coming up with things that would be new and fun for them.  In the end, it actually was the most successful theme I've designed so far!  We are given a different theme each year and it is the responsibility of each camp to develop their own program (they are on a  five year rotation which means 2012 will be the 3rd time I've done a jungle theme.)
covered wagon snack carrier

We had a map where people could mark where they were from.  We had people from all the continents of the world (except Antarctica)

There is a daily riddle.  If they get the correct answer, they get a smarties candy from Yoda.
I got him at Value Village and the cubs loved him, he's not western but how can you look at him and not smile?  One of our riddles from this year....  How could a cowboy ride into town on Friday, stay two days, and ride out on Friday?

Recognition prize window
The boys were recognized for doing extra things with dots on their map name tags.  When they got enough dots, they were able to redeem them for a prize.  (By the time I realized I didn't have a themed recognition spot for this year, my brain was mush.  Thankfully, my mom was up for dinner that night and came up with a cute western window.  (She put a sign that said, "Take at your own risk, dead or alive" and I had so many boys ask me in seriousness what the risk was!))

Our store and part time storekeeper.
It was Elizabeth's first year helping with the store.  We sell 10 cent and 25 cent candy as well as pop and cookies.    The money we earn supplements the $23/per boy I receive from the BSA council.

 I work really hard to come up with fun classes but in reality, the boy's favorite classes are ALWAYS archery and bb guns.  Some of our theme program classes that were a real hit were...

"panning" for gold (spray painted aquarium gravel, sand, colander)  They all LOVED this!

building tee-pees
(putting those produce co-op laundry baskets to use)  and I got some new co-op converts from adults asking about my 250 baskets!


stomp rockets
(Space, the Final Frontier)

Greg cut out enough disks for all 151 cubs to make a "string thing" pioneer game

shoot the moon pioneer game

biscuits on a stick

slingshots
we used dog food for artillery and shot them at aluminum pie plates which made a satisfying loud noise

covered wagon derby cars
Dode built me the track

cow roping

Paul Bunyon Ball
These girls are "tag-a-longs" (children of adult volunteers)

We had a magician come for lunch time entertainment on Thursday.
Since it was pouring down rain, he took his show from group to group who were hiding under canopies and even made balloon animals for everyone who wanted one.  (That's a lot of balloon tying!)

 my costume for the year
A sheriff badge from Wall Drug in South Dakota (bought when we visited in 2010)
A western shirt from a 2nd hand store in Dubois, Wy
A theme apron holding my schedule, map, sharpie, etc.
An umbrella hat for the wet day

Even though I've planned and put on day camps for years, each camp is different because we have a different mix of boys, volunteers, and weather every time.  Our weather left a lot to be desired. It rained non stop for much of the last day. We got at least a little rain each day/night which left the grass we were walking in all day wet. Within five minutes of arriving at camp each morning, my feet would be soaked! As the day would wear on, I'd start to dream about getting into dry shoes once I got home. It was the first thing I did each day.  As a leader, I recognize that it's my job to keep morale up.  I bought the umbrella hat several years ago to wear in case of rain and this is the first year I've needed it.  I put on my umbrella hat and walked the camp, checking in with the groups and station leaders.  I earned a lot of smiles with that hat! 
One tiring thing about being the program director is how long camp lasts (all year long).  As soon as one camp is over, I start brainstorming and looking for ideas for the next year.  Then comes developing the program, creating instructions for all 28 classes, buying things, training volunteers.  Finally, it's time for camp itself and I'm the first one there in the morning and the last one there at the end of the day.  Once camp is over and we haul everything home, I've still got to go through and inventory everything, throw away trash, clean dirty things, and put everything away.  Once all that is accomplished, I'm still not officially "done" with day camp until I meet with an official from Boy Scouts of America to "close out" our camp and review the expenses for the year.

It's hundreds of hours of service and I sometimes feel like I get more complaints from grumpy volunteers than thanks from happy parents.  Our local BSA council has never been good about saying "thank you" (they don't) and while that really irks me, I get a lot of satisfaction from seeing how much fun the boys are having and from hearing from parents that their sons sure wish camp lasted five days instead of four.  After this many years, it's hard to imagine summer without day camp.

I'm the program director which means I come up with all the "program" for the boys (classes, recognition, opening and closing ceremonies, riddles, lunch time programs, etc.)  If you can see it at camp, I planned it.  I work with a camp director who is responsible for health and safety, making sure we're following the BSA policies for day camp, and dealing with discipline problems at camp.  I've been working with the same camp director for five years.  We've developed a great system but this was her last year.  You have to attend a three day overnight training put on by BSA in order to run a camp.  That training allows you to run a camp for the next five years. She went once and said never again.  (I've been three times, once as a participant and twice as an instructor.)  Next year, I will be working with a new person (my 5th).  Does it say something to have exhausted that many different people?

I tell the boys and the leaders that our #1 rule at Camp Mckinley is "Everyone has fun!"  I try my best to make it a great experience not just for the cubs but for the adults as well, including me.  I love day camp!

4 comments:

  1. Hmm...thank you from a mom...you have a wonderful gift for seeing the bright spot even through rain, grumpy people, and hard work...I am very proud of you...my mind is twirling with ideas for another jungle theme..love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the ideas you come up with. I bet the boys not only wish the camp lasted 5 days, but a few more years as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thanks as Scout leaders tend to come from the smiles the kids have at the end of the day. But as a parent and Scout leader (in Ohio), I'd like to say THANKS TO YOU for all your time and dedication!! It's all those lasting memories that you've helped create in a positive environment that really matter in the long run. KUDOS to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you plan your day camp programs without knowing the theme or do you always know your theme? How soon do you usually know your theme?

    ReplyDelete