Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Thermopolis to Lovell

Friday morning we packed up camp and headed to Lovell. 

Miriam supervising the packing of the trailer

The girls had put their tent away the night before and chose to sleep in the car but the boys definitely had a tough time getting their things put away.  Instead  of working, they preferred to hang out in their tent and goof off.  I kept asking them to get to work but it didn't cause any change.  I finally had to separate them and give them each time to work on their tent.  I'd told them they weren't allowed to eat breakfast until they were packed up.  Once I separated them, both of them complained to me when it was their turn to wait, "You won't let me eat breakfast but you won't let me help either."   I explained that since they hadn't been helping before I separated them, nothing was changed.  I was so happy to know that it was the last time I'd have to deal with packing  up camp without Dode there to help enforce a good work ethic. 

After leaving Thermopolis, we stopped in Greybull for lunch.  We found a very nice park to play at and stretch our legs while eating lunch. Every city park we encounter in Wyoming has a small skate park and the boys have become jaded to them.  They saw the skate park but preferred climbing on the play structure.


a typical Dickson lunch view

We finished up lunch and loaded in the car and not 60 seconds later, we could see the rain a block away from us and closing fast.  We started to drive out of town but before we made it three blocks, a siren went off and strong winds and rain were attacking us.  We used the GPS to find the public library and hid out there for the duration of the storm, about 40 minutes.  We've never heard a severe weather siren before so it was a pretty exciting thing for us.  The storm was much more fun when we had a place to wait it out.

this fun chair was in the children's section at the library in Greybull

  We arrived in Lovell around 2:30 pm.  Our first stop was the town campground where we took advantage of their showers to clean up a bit before heading to the Zellers'.  The town of Lovell has a free campground where people can stay for three days and free hot showers in the campground.    Their showers are in a small brick building with a ladies' room and men's room.  It reminded me of a RV bathroom because there was a shower curtain you could pull around you to protect the toilet paper from the water.  I thought it was a fine place to take a shower and you can't beat the price.  Anastaya on the other hand was not impressed.  Sometimes I sure wish my "make the best of it" attitude would rub off on her "I deserve the best" attitude.

We arrived in Lovell during "Mustang Days", the annual town celebration.  Friday night was family fun night at the park.  They had lots of small games for the kids to play and receive prizes at.  The kids had a great time and think we should come to Lovell every year for Mustang Days.  I told them it was a bit too far to drive.
Elizabeth finally gets to go fishing!  She's been drooling over the lakes and rives we've been by.  I don't know that a "fishing pond" satisfies the fisherman within her!

Miriam and William hula hooping

Miriam won new sunglasses at the t-ball booth

waiting in line for face painting, a parent's favorite thing!
30 minutes in line for a face paint they'll spend three seconds looking at

fun face paint

1 comment:

  1. I am glad Dode the enforcer is there now...Lisa at work knew exactly where you were in Thermoplois...I don't think I want to live where there are weather sirens. Love mom

    ReplyDelete