Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 8, 2011

1st broken item of the year

1st broken item of the year
The morning of Jacob's 18th birthday (Jan 5th), I went to do a load of laundry and discovered the machine hadn't spun the load that was in it from the day before.  When I reset it to spin, I could hear a bad noise from deep inside the machine and it didn't rotate.  Dode took the machine apart that night and found that inside the gear box, they'd used a plastic gear which had worn out.  He figured it would be about a $15 part (for $3 worth of plastic) and the biggest bother would be waiting for a new part to be shipped to our nearest Sears store.  We use Sears all the time for parts and since it was a Kenmore, we were confident we'd be back in business eventually.  He looked online to buy a new part and found he'd have to buy an entirely new gear box for $170.  Everything else on the washer is in great condition.  For $170, we'd get the washer running again but would still have that plastic gear inside waiting to break again.


Dode taking apart the old washer

                            broken gear, see the teeth that are torn off on the left hand side?

I was really wishing we had a spare washer waiting in the garage (I buy bread makers at thrift shops and garage sales when I find them because we go through 3-4 a year, and when they break, I need a replacement now!  I wish we had the same option for washing machines.)  I looked on craigslist but didn't see any washers for under $200 so I started looking at front loaders.  Getting one is my long time dream since I've heard they get your clothes cleaner, save electricity, and have an extra large capacity.  With 2-3 loads a day every day, that sounds wonderful! 

After spending about four hours researching front loaders that night and the next morning, I finally chose one.  It was not easy.  Even the machines Consumer Reports recommend come with very mixed reviews.  People often love their machines when they first get them, but soon encounter maintenance issues like leaks, electronic problems, and clogged pumps.   I chose one I liked at Lowe's, but it wouldn't be available until the 20th.  That was just too long.  I found another at Home Depot, for a little more money but it also would be over two weeks until it could be here.  I found one with good reviews at Sears the "Frigidaire Affinity  Front Load Steam Washer" (if you have this machine and love it, please don't rub it in!).  When I tried to buy it on line, I couldn't get the order to go through.  I ended up using the "live chat" feature and it took me a half hour to complete the purchase.  So convenient!  Not!  By this time, I had a pounding headache but would have a new washer in just seven days.  I figured I could handle going to the laundry mat a few times and was looking forward to those huge loads of laundry I'd soon be handling with ease.

But, all was not well in my world.  I felt sick inside.  It feels like we've been hemorrhaging money since September.  Disneyland, the veterinary bills associated with the cat dying, the van breaking down in Yakima, the septic tank pump getting clogged, Christmas, birthdays. For a family like ours that lives right at the edge of our income, it's been one thing after another eating away at our savings.  Now, here was another big hit.  Dode had told me the night before that I'd been wanting a front loader for a long time and here was my chance to get one.  (Just like he told me I'd been wanting the septic tank pumped for a long time and I finally got to get it done.  He's wonderful at trying to make me feel better about spending money.)

I called him at work to tell him I'd ordered a washer but just felt sick.  He said, well, then lets get another used one.  I looked on craigslist and low and behold, a bunch of washers had been posted since last night that were in our price range.   I cancelled the order with Sears and when Dode got home from work, we drove up the road a mile and a half and picked up our new washer and dryer and I'm back in business.  I'd told him I'd need to run by the cash machine to pick up money to pay for them.  He said, "Not to worry, I have cash in my pocket."  It turns out, he'd been carrying around a wad of cash since he'd pulled some out to buy me a birthday present.  He'd struck out on buying what he wanted so instead he took me out to dinner.  So, in a way, my new-to-me washing machine is a birthday gift.  So, the first repair of the year is a fail.  I hope it's not a sign of things to come!  I'm still reeling from the aftermath of all the stress of the almost purchase of the front loader.  Do I still want a front loader?  Yes!  Will I ever have one?  Unlikely!  Is that ok with me?  Absolutely, if it means not feeling sick inside!


our new (to us) washer and dryer
                                                   2 1/2 days worth of laundry

We'd bought a set, washer and dryer for $100.  We didn't need the dryer but since it was only our washer that wasn't working but decided to replace them both since the new washer is cream and the old one is white.  I figured I could try to sell our dryer on craigslist for a little and recoup some of our investment.  Once Dode got everything hooked up, we learned the dryer is broken.  Now, we have to resolve that with the seller!

Beware of Chili Peppers
Thursday night I made chili for dinner.  I cut up a pascilla pepper and wasn't careful about keeping free of the seeds.  Later, I got a phone call and while on the phone, I rubbed my cheek.  Big mistake!  My cheek was instantly on fire!  Once I got off the phone, I hurried to the sink and tried to wash my cheek with soap and water.  That was my 2nd mistake.  I ended up spreading the fiery pepper oils from the corner of my eye to under my nose.  I grabbed an ice pack out of the freezer (the hard plastic kind you put in a cooler to keep everything cold) and proceeded to make dinner while applying soothing coolness to my cheek.  But, the ice pack couldn't be everywhere at the same time so I started looking for remedies.  I tried vinegar, no help.  I tried milk, no help.  I turned to the Internet and someone suggested milk of magnesia.  I went upstairs and all we had were tablets.  I crumbled one up in a glass with some water and smeared it on my face.  It felt good right to begin with, but was soon burning again.  Back to the sink to try washing again with the same result, now my nose was also burning!  Back to the ice pack, still trying to make dinner.  Back to the Internet where some people recommended a paste made of baking soda and milk.  Finally, some relief, over an hour after the first burn.  The baking soda/milk paste cut a lot of the heat.  When Dode got home from work, he took one look at me and thought the baking soda paste were blisters and I needed to get right to the emergency room.    At least the chili was tasty!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my..poor Saint Stephanie!!! we love you honey & laughed till we cried over your story
    love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I like your washer and enjoyed hearing about your trauma. I have had the same sick feeling several times. I learned a long time ago to always pay attention. You sure did the right thing! About your pepper burns. I never have a problem because I'm never a good enough cook to trust myself with real food like hot peppers. Hope you are okay now.

    ReplyDelete