Total Pageviews

Friday, December 24, 2010

My birthday

I've had a birthday, shout hooray!

I love my birthday.  I love my birthday week.  (It usually includes Christmas.)  I love my birthday month. (It's full of family activities.)   That being said, when planning my birthday, I really wish I was born in the summer.  IF I was a summer birthday girl, I'd spend my day at Jetty Island, watching the kids play in the water while burying my toes in the warm sand, reading a fun book, and snacking on healthy and not so healthy treats.  But, since I jumped out of heaven on the day before the winter solstice, I need to find something inside to do.  I used to go skiing on my birthday because you could ski free.  Stevens Pass quit doing that a few years ago.  Now that I have to pay, I'd rather go skiing another day and skip the out-of-school crowds up there.  If I'm paying full price, I'm going on a day when I don't have to wait in line to get on the lift! 

I thought and thought about what I wanted to do on my birthday.  I realized that more than anything, I wanted to feel like a good mom on my birthday.  Doing things with my kids helps me feel like a good mom, so I knew I wanted to do something with them.  The Seattle Aquarium is as close to a beach as I want to get this time of year (unless you're offering somewhere tropical) and I could take the kids.

I'd decided since it was my birthday, instead of exercising in the morning, I'd lay in bed for 45 minutes and read my book.


It was a good, although confusing, read. It reminded me of The Name of the Wind (which is a much better book). That being said, I enjoy Orson Scott Card and am looking forward to the sequel.

We'd had our annual Dickson family Nativity the night before my birthday and Lisa and I did a kid swap.  She took Isaac and Miriam to her house and I kept Lainey, Allison, and Jenna with me.  Janice had some free passes to the aquarium (thanks so much Janice!) which the Oak Harbor cousins were able to use.  The kids enjoyed the touch tanks while I stood and watched the jellyfish go round and round in their donut shaped tank.  They're so relaxing to watch, I could have spent a lot more time in front of them!  We stood in front of the lion fish tank for a long time watching the workers feed it.  Every time I go to the aquarium, I think of how great it'd be to be there without the kids so I could sit in front of a tank and just enjoy watching the fish.  The kids are always so quick to glance at something and then want move on.  That being said, I can't imagine leaving them at home.

Dode called to see how we were doing

one of the very appealing touch tanks

We spent about two hours at the aquarium.  We'd parked at a meter with a two hour limit and I wasn't sure what the rules were in Seattle for feeding the meter.  I asked one of the employees if I was allowed to put more money in the meter.  "Sure", she said.  "Great", I replied.  Then she added, "Just make sure to check your tires for marks."  So apparently it's NOT ok to feed the meter.

After the aquarium, we went over to Pirate's Plunder (a gift shop) where each of the girls picked out an inexpensive souvenir and I found a few stocking stuffers.  It was pure torture for William to be around so many things he wanted to touch.  I think we made it out of the store having purchased everything we had with us.  I'd planned to go up to Pike Place Market and get some of the tiny donuts you can buy fresh and hot.  But, it was a cold ugly day and the kids were starting to run on empty.

We left Seattle and met up with my mom for lunch at Barlee's in Edmonds.  My mom treated the entire crowd to lunch in my honor.  My mom and I had a nice visit during lunch with only one spilled drink on the table!  And, everyone ate what they ordered, amazing!  The kids wanted me to open my present up right away.  I prefer to savor the unknown.  Once I opened it, a knife, they weren't very impressed.  Don't they realize the tasty things that will come out of the kitchen thanks to that knife?!
my lunch, a seafood omelet

thanks mom

lemon meringue pie, it ended up being the only candle I blew out!

a new knife, can't wait to put it to good use

The girls were pretty tired all day.  They were treating me to some birthday entertainment while driving by singing camp songs from a booklet Janice gave them.  Part way down to Seattle, Jenna announced that from then on, she'd be trying to sleep.  She dragged around a bit at the aquarium and once we filled her tummy up with lunch, she passed right out for the drive home.

That evening, Sharon babysat the kids for us so that Dode and I could go out to dinner.  We went to La Casita in Mount Vernon.  It's a Mexican restaurant in the middle of a residential area.  We've eaten there lots of times and really like it.  (Unfortunately, I got spoiled at those Mexican restaurants in Pasco that have a fresh tortilla and salsa bar.  I really missed one!)  After dinner, we went to See's candy where I got to pick a pound of chocolates.  (1/2 scotchmellow which are my favorite, 1/4 caramels because it's nice to have some variety in life, and 1/4 assorted so I could share with the family).

After our date, I read (and finished) my book.  Dode sat beside me on the couch working on the database for my produce co-op.  (He's such a wonderful guy!)
 
All in all, it was a great birthday!  I got to spend time with the kids feeling like a great mom, spend time with my mom feeling like a loved daughter, time with my book feeling like I'm on another planet, and time with my husband feeling like a teenager.  What could be better?!

1 comment:

  1. and I loved spending time with my daughter...what a lucky mom I am!!! Someone from work said there is an excellent new fresh Mexican rest in Smokey Point...he drives all the way from Seattle to go (and you know there are a LOT of Mex places between here & there)
    next year is the BIG BD...what shall we do???
    love mom

    ReplyDelete